Blackjack is a simple card game that has been played for hundreds of years and gives players a chance to compete with the dealer and potentially win some money. Fortunately, there are hundreds of online casinos that have a wide variety of versions for you to try, so you don’t have to go to a physical casino to enjoy this game.
But how exactly can you play online blackjack? Even more, how to win? You’re in the right place if you’re just starting to learn the game or need a refresher on the rules of blackjack.
How to play online blackjack?
The fact that blackjack is one of the easiest card games to learn makes it one of the most popular card games in the world. The main rule of the game is to beat the dealer with your card total compared to his to win the game.
The face value of each card in this game, which is offered in the largest online casinos in Latvia, is assigned to cards from 2 to 10, 10 points are awarded (J, Q and K), and either 1 or 11 points are awarded to A. Before you decide whether to keep existing cards (stay with existing cards) or request an additional card, both you and the dealer are dealt two cards, one of which can be open (face up). The dealer is then given an identical option. The cards are then dealt, and the winner is the player whose total score is closest to, but does not exceed, 21. If you have an A and a card with a value of 10, you have the best hand in blackjack because it beats all the other 21.
Although this is a very simplified representation of the game, it gives a decent idea of how it works. There are additional options, alternative rules and several game variations that can change the way you play.
The table is often the same and mimics what you see in a physical casino, whether you’re playing online blackjack or real live blackjack. The table is often shaped like a semicircle and has a green playing surface (sometimes red, blue or black) surrounded by a wooden or padded frame. The curved side of the semicircle is for the players, while the flat side is for the dealer.
Depending on which variant you are playing, the players side may have multiple betting positions or just one, often in the form of cards. The ribbon in the middle of an online blackjack table displaying the rules of blackjack paying 3 to 2 and insurance paying 2 to 1 is a very recognizable feature. Depending on the version you’re playing, which we’ll explore below, you might also notice other elements at the table, such as predetermined insurance and side bet positions.
Types of blackjack bets
Let’s take a look at the many bets you’ll face in the game and find out which ones you can and can’t make when playing online blackjack:
- Insurance – if the dealer has an A card, you will have the option to buy insurance before making regular bets. This is due to the dealer’s possible blackjack. This gives you the opportunity to increase your profits and protect your bets;
- Stand – If you are satisfied with the cards you have and do not want to be dealt more cards, you should choose to stand when it is your turn to play;
- Hit: When it’s your turn, you have a chance to raise, in which case you’re dealt another card. As long as you don’t run out of money, you can repeat this action as many times as you need during your turn (go over 21 points);
- Double down- Only the first two cards dealt to you can be used to double down, but in other variations you can do it even after the split. You have to raise your bet to get just one more card. If your first two cards are 3 and 8, for example, you could do this in the hope that a 10-point card will come up and get 21 points;
- Split: If the first two cards dealt are identical, you can choose to split them into two separate hands, doubling your bet.;
- Surrender – Only available in some game variations. Surrender allows you to give away your hand if you feel it is weaker than half your bet;
- Perfect pairs – this is an optional side bet where you bet that the pair of cards dealt to you will be either a number/value match (eg two deuces), a suit match (eg two red deuces) or a perfect match (eg , two red diamond doubles);
- 21+3- Using the two cards dealt and the dealer’s up card, you can bet on whether a winning three-card poker hand will consist of a Flush (all of the same suit), Straight (three consecutive values), Three of a Kind. (three identical cards), Straight Flush (three suited cards in a row) or Suited Trips (three of a kind).
Don’t let the different rates scare you! Before you start playing, you just need to learn to hit (HIT) and hold (STAND). The rest will become clear as the game progresses, but it’s important to keep these types of bets in mind.